The Weltzheimer/Johnson House, 1948
Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright
Photograph: Dirk Bakker
The First Usonian Home In Ohio
The public entrance to the house is located at 534 Morgan Street.
The Weltzheimer/Johnson House holds public open house hours on the First and Third Sundays of each month.
Hours are 12pm until 5pm.
Guided tours begin on the hour (12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, and 4pm).
Admission is $5 per adult, and is payable at the house.
Advance registration is not required, except for groups of 10 or more.
Parking is available on the south side of Morgan Street (the golf course side). Don’t worry about the “No Parking” signs – city services are familiar with the house!
The W/J House does allow visitor photography of both the interior and exterior of the building. At this time, the house is not available for use as a rental conference space.For further information, please contact the AMAM Education Department at (440) 775-8671, or send us an email.
Closed Major Holidays – New Year’s Day, Easter, Independence Day, and Christmas.
The Weltzheimer/Johnson House at Oberlin College is a Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian House that sits on a lot several blocks from campus. Designed in 1947 and completed in 1949, it is the first Usonian house in Ohio and one of the few in the nation open to the public.
The Weltzheimer/Johnson House stands as another expression of Wright’s answer to the demand for beautiful and affordable middle-class homes in the post WWII America. Pairing innovation with basic owner-builder construction materials and techniques, the concepts of organic architecture evolved into these Usonian characteristics: a flowing floor plan with distinct public and private wings; concrete, grid patterned, slab floor with radiant heat; flat roof and cantilevered carport; masonry fireplace mass; board and batten walls with simple built-in furniture; and tall glass walls and doors opening to the landscape.
The Weltzheimer/Johnson House uses brick masonry and redwood and has several distinctive features, including the hundreds of stained croquet balls forming the roof dentil ornamentation whose circular motif is echoed in the shadow panel screens of the clerestory and the interior brick columns that separate the workspace from the living room.
The Weltzheimer family lived in the house until 1963 when the property was sold to developers and “remodeling” efforts scarred the space. However, in 1968, Art History Professor Ellen H. Johnson purchased the home and began the restoration process. In 1992 at her death, the house was given to Oberlin College to serve as a guesthouse for the Art Department and the Allen Memorial Art Museum. The house is now open to the public for tours and programs.
Frank Lloyd Wright at Oberlin: The Story of the Welzheimer/Johnson House, Allen Memorial Art Museum Bulletin 49, no. 1 (1995), is available at the Weltzheimer/Johnson House during tour hours. Bulletin is $10 per copy.